Construction Business Training & Plan Center
Training Center Programs
PBDG is committed to the growth and development of Construction related businesses in Oregon. Our program provides technical assistance designed to target minority and women owned firms working in the fields of construction, engineering, and architecture. We also cater to individuals who are seeking to open their own businesses withn the construction industry. Our relationship-centric and case management approach is designed to be flexible and responsive to every client’s individual needs.
Our Technical Assistance offerings include: The Opportunity Link Program, One-on-One Consulting and Workshops/Classes. Businesses can access our services statewide as our classes, advising and mentorship opportunities all have virtual options.
Businesses do not have to be PBDG members to receive services from our programs.
Opportunity Link: PBDG’s Advanced Consulting Program
This is a 9-month advanced consulting program designed to run from September 2021 to May 2022.
Graduation party in June 2022. Average time commitment: 1 hour per week.
As a participant, you will learn with peers who are in a similar stage of business development. Network and find your next opportunity! You will receive individual mentoring, 1-on-1 technical assistance, priority registration for group classes led by vetted instructors, coaching to help you achieve your individual goals, access to resources (based on eligibility), and opportunities to grow your business.
Our multi-week class series will better equip you to utilize construction project software, business and personal financial skills, project management principles, estimating & bidding fundamentals, and more. Our goal is to help minority- and women-owned construction businesses build sustainable wealth. This program is free thanks to our Program Sponsor.
Program Features & Benefits:
- Computer Lab Access
- Referrals to Resources and Job Leads
- Relationship Building
- Growth Opportunities
- Access to Construction Software
Questions about the program, contact Advisor@pbdgweb.com.
CRITERIA TO QUALIFY
- PBDG gives service preference to minority and/or women-owned small businesses. If you do not fit within those groups, you may still be able to benefit from our other program offerings. For further information email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be in continuous operation for at least 1 year
- Must not be ineligible or debarred from public works by BOLI
- Must notify PBDG if there are claims filed against the business
- Must provide direct services to the construction industry (contractors, architecture and engineering, design etc).
- Must be willing to meet the recommended time allocation to this program (Minimm of 1 hour per week). All our classes and meetings are virtual until further notice.
TOPICS AVAILABLE TO BE COVERED INCLUDE:
- Business foundations and stabilization
- Strategic business planning
- Construction project management and reporting
- Accounting, financial management and billing
- Construction bidding, sales, and software
- Construction estimating and software
- Navigating contractor and regulatory requirements
- Human Resources – recruiting, hiring, training, and retaining qualified employees
- Bonding and access to capital
- Workforce requirements
- Resource & Referrals to other Professional Services including Legal, Credit Repair, Tax Prep and More
- Topic specific coaching and mentoring
We will be rolling out our application for the 2021-2022 program year shortly. If you are interested in applying, please sign up for the “Financial Skills for Construction Business” class below. Although it does not guarantee a spot, participation in the class series is highly encouraged for interested Opportunity Link program participants.
Interested in being a mentor or sponsoring our next cohort? Please contact email@example.com
Business advisors work on an individual basis with clients to provide specific assistance with business needs. This program is not competitive and construction businesses located anywhere in the state of Oregon can enroll into our one-on one consulting services and are eligible to receive assistance. Below is a list of services we currently provide. Check back periodically as we will update this list to include additional services driven by industry demand.
- RFP Response Assistance
- COBID certification and renewal assistance
- SBA Certification
- Bonding Assistance
- Access to Capital: Loan readiness, finance strategies, financial analysis, and funder connections
- Resource & Referrals to other Professional Services including Accounting System Setup, Legal, Credit Repair, Tax Prep and More
- Identifying Subcontracting Opportunities
- Small Business Forums and Peer Networking Events
- Facilitate Networking with Primes and General Contractors
- Direct Connections to Project Opportunities
This program is free for PBDG Members. If you are not a PBDG member, please contact Training@pbdgweb.com to see if you qualify for free assistance.
WORKSHOPS & CLASSES
Financial Skills for Construction Businesses
This series is virtual and will be held on Zoom.
6 cohort meetings total:
9/22/2021 – 10/28/2021
Thursdays, 4:00- 5:30 pm
Please save these dates:
9/23, 9/30, 10/7, 10/14, 10/21, 10/28
After registering, you will receive an email with the Zoom link and be introduced to instructors.
This virtual class is provided at NO COST thanks to funding from Prosper Portland
If you are interested in joining the Opportunity Link program, attending this series is highly encouraged.
What to Expect:
This is a 6 part cohort style learning series.
Instructors are financial professionals that focus on working with the construction industry. Guest speakers will tie financial topics to real world experience and upcoming project opportunities. Learn how to build your business and personal credit, gain business development skills, improve or understand credit, manage cash flow, strategies for banking and commercial loans and more. Set a goal that you want to achieve during the class. Work with instructors and PBDG staff to reach that goal within 6 weeks.
We are following CCB participation and attendance guidelines. Please arrive and leave within 15 minutes of the scheduled start and end times. Please ask questions and share your experiences on video and in the Zoom chat.
Click on the link to register for this upcoming class series.
We look forward to having you join us!
The PBDG Foundation is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that operates the Construction Business Training and Plan (TAP) Center which provides education and training to minority, women and COBID certified firms in the construction industry.
Request a callback from PBDG
*denotes a required field